Hugh James is currently appointed by the Court of Protection as a professional property and financial affairs deputy for over 130 individuals. We are regularly approached by solicitors, barristers and local authorities to act as property and financial affairs deputy for clients. The type of clients we are appointed for include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Children and young adults who have suffered injuries at birth;
- Adults and children who have suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of accidents or assaults;
- Adults and children who have suffered brain injury following inappropriate or substandard medical treatment;
- Adults with learning disabilities; and
- Adults with illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease.
We also act as a professional trustee for a number of clients with large personal injury trusts in place. Most of our clients have had claims for damages as a result of their injuries in either the civil courts or the CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority). Large settlements have been awarded as a result of these claims, to include an amount allowed for ongoing Court of Protection and deputyship costs.